Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dogs...and "Racist" Halloween Costumes

I am interested in hearing comments about today's Huffington Post concerning racist Halloween costumes:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/disgrasian/racist-halloween-costumes_b_330853.html

My comment has been posted.....You'll find it under the name Bassetthound... or, you can read it here (although it makes sense to see the pictures, found on the link, first:)

Well, now that I have caught my breath from laughing so hard.....
Yes, many of the costumes WOULD be appalling on humans, but then a lot of things dogs do are unbecoming, if not downright shocking (not to mention impolite) if we humans behave the same way. You know what I mean....

Sure, some of the costumes may be inherently offensive..the illiegal alien, for example (even with the space-creature mask), and certainly the "black" pimp, and the braids on the "indian" costume....
...but some of them are not... The prayer shawls on the two sober-faced canines are not, in themselves, racist....just humorous, on the dogs, on whom they don't even seem particularly blasphemous. Some costumes are offensive in description only, like the "geisha", but otherwise it's merely colorful.
I would of course object if the costumed dogs were used as a socially acceptable way of expressing hateful views.... But somehow the costumes' absurdity, and the innnocent simplicity in the dogs' expressions, render the get-ups toothless, as it were.
As a member of a demographic that is accustomed to being misrepresented and stereotyped, (and I can think of lots of "gay" dog costumes...) I've learned that I have to pick my battles, and sometimes just find humor in some situations....



Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/disgrasian/racist-halloween-costumes_b_330853.html

No comments:

Post a Comment