Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Daily Journal October 6: New York Stories, Prologue

                                                                      

I just returned from my very first trip to New York City with Mark.  As some of our friends say, what better place is there to reinvent yourself?
We arrived Friday afternoon, and left Monday afternoon.
While there, we joined up with our friend Jillian, who loves the city and who traveled there especially to spend time with us; and her friend and resident New Yorker, Max.
What a time we had! ...Decidedly un-tourist-y, but not nearly long enough for more than a faint taste, akin to dipping a finger in a mile-long buffet table, and discerning the quality of the whole banquet by one lick....
Nevertheless, strong impressions, opinions, and connections were formed....and I am completing a lengthy journal of the days and nights' activities.....I have written freely and at great length, to capture what I could....and explore my attitudes, and outlook for the future..... by the time its finished I may well have filled over 70 pages....
For the next few days I will include some photos and excerpts from the journal.
I can tell you that we managed 3 shows.....spent some hours at the Metropolitan Art Museum.... Had rain Friday and Saturday, but pleasant skies Sunday, and yesterday...explored a respectable portion of Central Park....had iconic moments in the Village, and Chelsea, and Hudson River park.... experienced Times Square....Little Italy....and mastered the subway...mostly we walked.....
I encountered a few dogs along the way...
Ate well but not to excess....
...and, as promised, I will provide an accountof the highlight of our trip...the Broadway musical revival, "Hair".....magical, explosive!
Travel, even very short and local trips, can be inspiring.......






                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment