Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Bassador" New Retirement Home Mascot--Short Take #2


At the retirement community where Mark's mother lives, they brought in a new dog rescued from a local shelter. 

It is called a Bassador, a mix of Basset Hound and Labrador!

Apparently these hybrids are not new or too uncommon.  And yet, as much as I love Basset Hounds, I had not heard of this breed before Mark told me about "Willie", a 2-year-old Basset/Black Lab mix..

Willie is a permanent resident of the retirement community.  One of the staff members has primary responsibility for Willie's care.  He has his own place, and is there during his waking hours to greet visitors and visit with the residents.

As soon as I have a chance to meet him, I will post a photo. Stay tuned!

Until then, I will look forward to making his acquaintance, and amusing myself with thoughts of how cute he must be, with his long low body, stumpy legs, and Labrador's head.

Here are a couple photos of the breed I found on the internet....(And read more about the breed here.)



Tonight, I chose to remind myself that animals help me maintain perpective, and focus my energies on the important activity of helping the helpless.  Sometimes, the love comes back.  See below for a sweet video about a man and his friend, a goose...

4 comments:

  1. My family has a Bassador. We got him as a pup after we had to put down our other Bassador, who we rescued from a no-kill shelter. Murray has a great personality, and once he grows out of his puppy-hood, I can see him fitting in perfectly at my husband's facility (he runs an assisted living). Hope you get to meet Willie soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am from Greece and i have a Bassador, 4 years old.. he is just like a pictuer..and his name is Arapis..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bassador that has Basset legs and body not the ears we rescued him before he went to the pound bosco is a good dog and loves water doesn't like men but love me and my mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an 8 month old Bassador it basically looks like a Lab with a drop kit

    ReplyDelete