Monday, January 3, 2011

Remembering 2010: A Personal Journal for Monday

~ ~  ~

Thanks to everyone who has been a regular visitor to my journal.


I dedicate this look back at 2010 to all of you.


And how have I done on my journey of Reinvention?  At the very least, I can proudly claim to be a part of the great on-line conversation....and looking over the events of the year, some positive changes took place in me...I think I'm on the right road....


The year seemed to be a difficult one as we were getting through it.  Looking back, however, there was a lot of good, and many pleasant things to remember about it. 


On Saturday I wrote about the year in movies.  Below is a list of the rest of the year (32 items) that I will  remember well: 

  1--The Buddy Foundation.  I began to volunteer with the homeless dogs last winter and made many friends, both canine and human (special good wishes to David and Jayne).  I have enjoyed meeting new dogs, walking and playing with them, feeding and cleaning up after them.


  2--Using Maggie's last remaining can of dog food to feed the critters at the shelter.


  3--The chronicles of the Health Care Bill; Don't Ask Don't Tell; Gay Marriage


  4--"Midnight Cowboy", "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", "They Shoot Horses Don't They", and the real "True Grit": my look back at Oscar 40 years ago--1969.


  5--"The Hurt Locker" vs. "Avatar"; Sandra Bullock vs. Meryl Streep; Jeff Bridges vs. Colin Firth:  Oscar Night 2010.


  6--The incredible resilience of Chicago's very own Roger Ebert


  7--The Gene Siskel Film Center,  "The Bicycle Thief" and "8 1/2"


  8--Winter Olympics, and the Opening Ceremonies, graced by k.d. lang and the voice of Joni Mitchell, comforting us after a tragic fatal accident on the luge...


  9--Sadie, a Scottish Terrier, wins the Westminster Dog Show


  10--My late Grandparents, Sam and Lucy Triolo, would have turned 100 years old


  11--I take two beginning Italian Conversation courses, to commemorate Sam and Lucy's Centennial


  12--A miracle: I put my condo of 15 years up for sale in February; the sale closes in June


  13--Packing, moving, and taking one last sentimental journey


  14--I settle in at Mark's home in Mount Prospect. It took us 14 years to get to this place together.

  15--"Vote for Lee!"  Lee DeWyze, Mount Prospect's hometown boy, wins "American Idol".  Posters plaster his name all over town for months leading up to the grand finale, and subsequent rally and parade.


  16--Shivering at a baseball game in, of all places, Scottsdale, Arizona!


  17--We were proud members of the Chicago Art Institute, and reveled in special exhibits of Matisse and Chagall, along with the hundreds of permanent collections.


  18--Mark's and my shared birthday celebration, playing tourist in Chicago.  A fabulous architectural boat tour of the river, and a hilarious amusement park ride on Navy Pier.


  19--Theater: "August, Osage County" with Estelle Parsons; "Don't Ask", a military drama in San Francisco; and "Billy Elliott", which I fell in love with---twice.


  20--Speaking of San Francisco, our visit was a highlight of the year. Golden Gate park; meeting Italian tourists; City Lights Bookstore; Barbary Lane; the Castro, and "The Subject Was Roses.... The Wild Parrots...


  21--BEACH BLANKET BABYLON!


  22--Our Second Annual Tony Awards Party with Jillian, who thrilled to the win for "Memphis" as Best Musical;

  23--"Lucia", my entry in the NPR Short Story Contest.  I didn't win, but enjoyed writing the tale of a Basset Hound that spoke only Italian.


  24--My sentence in a "progressive" blogging short story.  I must find the completed story soon...
"Surrounded by beautiful little azure tits as she wrote in her journal to un-bird-en herself of thoughts of fish, and fowl, and Todd (who was slowly recovering, and would join her soon); and as room service arrived with her vegetarian plate; her phone vibrated, signaling a text...."


  25--Losing Dennis Hopper, DeDe Allen, Lynn Redgrave, Blake Edwards, Ron Santo....so many, many others....


  26--My 200th, and 300th, posts.


  27--Chicago finally gets a champion in the Blackhawks


  28--Mercy for Animals...I began my odyssey into preventing farm animal cruelty, and my foray into a changing diet....


  29--Following the BP oil spill and raging at the stories of injured and deceased wildlife; and cheering for the special people who worked hard to save these poor creatures.


  30--THE WINDY CITY GAY CHORUS!!  Mark auditioned and got in.  He loves rehearsals and practicing.  So far, I saw him and the group perform two terrific concerts: a summer-themed itinerary in June; and a beautiful holiday concert this past December.  Mark has found a place for himself there, a place of acceptance and fulfillment.  Through his kind inclusion of me, I have met some nice people there too. Looking forward to the March show!


  31--"Valley of the Dolls", Patty Duke, and our friend Steve....An unforgettable day of camp and nostalgia at the classic Music Box Theater.


 32--Kind invitations to review the books "The Rest is Illusion" and "The King's Speech".


Finally, thank you all my friends and fellow bloggers who have inspired me and supported me with your comments.  It was a tough year for most of us; but I'm happy I was able to share with you the best that I remember of it.  Stay tuned for more political rants, animal stories, film reviews, and, yes, another look back to Oscar 40 years ago....1970....

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment