Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Two-Faced Cat; A Story Worth Remembering


Louie and Frank.  One cat.  Two faces. A survivor!


I need stories like this  to come around from time to time.  Like animals themselves, they keep me focused on the small, immediate wonders that are right in front of me, and block out the crap that seeps into view all the time, and taints my perspective.

(Click here for the CBS feature)

This rag-doll cat with two faces has just entered the Guinness Book of World Records. The cat, a resident of Worcester, Massachusetts, just turned 12 years old, a rarity for this type of creature called a Janus cat.  Janus, the ancient Roman god of beginnings, of doorways, and of time, is a figure with 2 faces (looking to the future and into the past).

The condition is known as Polycephaly.  It is fairly common in animals, but cats born this way rarely live beyond a few days.


This story has been all over the news today, so there is nothing original about this piece. I only wanted to grace my journal with this marvelous story, to remember it, and to be able to re-visit it. 



It made me uncommonly happy, and a wee bit melancholy, too.  I give much credit and words of love and encouragement to Marty Stevens, the owner who rescued the cat from certain death, and raised it into a healthy, well-adjusted companion. 


Enjoy this terrific AP video. I hope it clears your mind as it did mine. (I loved his growling purr!)

2 comments:

  1. Pretty incredible story - it's kind of amazing how that first photo looks almost impossibly fake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could share it here with you. The video really hits home.

    ReplyDelete