Saturday, February 27, 2010

Illinois Celebrates Animal Volunteers--A Saturday Journal

Movies, current events, Olympics, and other topics for this journal are taking a back seat to animals....and you know what?  I don't mind that they have come out in front one more time!  What better way to slow down and be genuinely yourself, to reflect on the direction of one's life, than in the company of the creatures in our midst.....



For once, Illinois lawmakers have a nice bit of news, and I feel proud to be a small part of it.  It is not a loud proclamation, and I might have missed it had I not received this message from The Buddy Foundation:

"Saturday, February 27, 2010 will be proclaimed Pet Rescue Day in Illinois by Governor Pat Quinn at a ceremony at 11:30am in the Rescue section at the International Kennel Club of Chicago Show at McCormick Place in Chicago, IL. Governor Quinn is issuing this proclamation to recognize, and honor, the many, many people here in the state of Illinois that have so selflessly taken it upon themselves to rescue, foster, rehabilitate and find permanent homes for our states homeless companion animals."
I'm proud to share this proclamation with my friends from outside of Illinois....even fellow residents who might otherwise have been unaware, like me.  I will be unable to attend the ceremony, as I am looking after my "regular" charge, Shayna the Border Collie.  Apparently, there are a number of rescue organizations represented at the Dog Show this weekend, along with Dog Clubs and hundreds of specific breeders.

Of course, this being Illinois, even a good-hearted and uplifting proclamation to recognize animal-lovers and caregivers is shadowed by politics and controversyGovernor Quinn's Republican rival Bill Brady is pushing to introduce a law that will allow any particular facility to euthanize companion animals in groups.  The current lawlets only one animal to be euthanized in a facility at a time.  The story has it that Brady's Senate district operates an animal gas chamber, in which it can take up to 30 minutes for an animal to die.  Quinn strategically publicized this issue, and plans to attend the show himself today.

All the more reason to champion those that seek to care for homeless animals.  We have a long way to go to create a world where no healthy animal need lose its life for want of a loving home.

Please enjoy the following quotes.  If you are able, consider saving an animal.  To those of you who were able, and did, my sincere friendship, and gratitude:


"I think how we treat our animals reflects how we treat each other ... And it's very important that we have a president who is mindful of the cruelty that is perpetrated on animals ..."~Barack Obama President Elect USA


"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~Will Rogers


"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


"Animals cannot speak, but can you and I not speak for them and represent them? Let us all feel their silent cry of agony and let us all help that cry to be heard in the world." ~Rukmini Devi Arundale



"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do." ~Edward Everet Hale~


"I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. I have done something," He replied. "I created you." ~The Animals' Savior Copyright Jim Willis 1999

1 comment:

  1. Cool post, Tom! I am simply disgusted by Bill Brady's completely horrid bill and his complete and total disregard for the suffering of lesser creatures (though it's questionable as to whom is the lesser creature here.) Kudos for your continued humanitarian efforts with regards to your canine charges, including Shayna of course! Loved the quotes and cute pic!

    ReplyDelete